IS INDIANA ONLINE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Everyone is nervous before jumping into something new, so we want to give you all the information you need to decide for yourself if Indiana Online is right for you.
Success in Indiana Online courses usually depends on your independent study habits, time management skills, and comfort level with technology. Use the profile of a successful student below to see if you have skills and resources needed to do well.
Technology Skills and Access
- You have access to the technology needed on a regular basis to work online using email, various internet browsers, GSuite for Education (Google), or Microsoft Office if needed.
- You know how to open, create and/or save a document using Microsoft Office or Google GSuite for Education.
- You know how to use various technology tools (e.g., dictionary, thesaurus, grammar checker, calculator); and identify various file formats (e.g., doc, xls, pdf, jpg).
- You are willing and able to ask for help from the online teacher by email, text, or phone and respond to the teacher using the same methods.
Time Management Skills
- You understand that online courses often take as much or more time than face-to-face courses.
- You have sufficient time in your schedule to complete assignments.
- You rarely need reminders or assistance in completing routine assignments.
- You maintain the self-discipline to create and maintain a study schedule throughout the semester without direct supervision.
Self-directed Learning Style
- You are a self-directed learner and are comfortable learning new material without requiring real-time feedback from teachers regarding basic directions and follow-up support.
- You have demonstrated good independent study habits.
- You have a strong desire to learn skills, acquire knowledge, and fulfill assignments in online courses because of an educational goal.
- You are motivated to complete activities and can initiate the communication required to be successful.
- You don’t require supervision to remain on task and complete assignments based on the pacing guide for the course.